Back To School Checklist: What Do I Need?
If panic buying PE kits and pencil cases rings a bell, fear not! We’ve put together a handy back to school checklist to save you time before your kids return to the classroom.
Pssst... don't miss our back to school giveaway (details below)!
When Do The Kids Go Back To School?
Most children are returning to school on Friday 1st September 2023, but you can find out the exact dates for your child’s school on the government website.
Not only are kids forgetful, but they have regular growth spurts which means bits of uniform need replacing every year. Don’t forget to check out your school’s official uniform list, but in the meantime here’s an idea of what you may need…
- Shorts/skirts/dresses for the summer
- Tie (if needed)
- Belt (if needed)
- Comfortable school shoes
- Name labels
- Waterproof coat or jacket
- Hat, scarf and gloves
- Summer hat
- Gym bag
Stationery & Pencil Case Supplies
- Fountain pen and ink cartridges
- Ballpoint pens
- HB pencils
- Pencil sharpener
- Glue stick
- Pencil case
- Post-it notes
- Calculator & maths set
- Fidget toys (for neurodiverse children)
- Lunchbox and small water bottle
- Bookbag (sold by the school)
- Pocket tissues
- Sun cream (summer)
- Reusable water bottle for classroom
Download Our Back To School Checklist
Download our handy checklist so you can print it out and tick off things as you go.
With six weeks away from school, schedules and routines may have changed for the new school year. Some things to consider ahead of time include…
- Travelling to and from school - Ensure your child knows how to get to and from school safely as well as being clued up on an alternative travel route. Consider things such as an emergency contact number or money for a bus or taxi fare etc.
- School routine - Get kids into the swing of things with earlier bedtimes, an alarm clock for the morning, and quiet times for homework.
- Packed lunches - Plan lunches, snacks, and breakfast in advance so there’s no early morning panic. If you’re opting for your littlen to have school dinners, look into the costs to ensure they’re prepared on their first day.
- Health changes - Make sure your child has had their relevant health checks and the school is notified of any health changes such as needing to wear glasses or a new allergy.
- Nerves and anxiety - The first day of school can give some children lots of nerves and anxiety. Have a chat with your youngster to go over any worries they might have.
Back To School Giveaway
This year, we are giving away a bunch of our favourite back to school essentials, so follow @bigjigstoys on Instagram and stay tuned for more details on how to enter.