FSC® Friday 2021 - What Is It & Why Should We Celebrate It?
What Does FSC® Stand For?
FSC® stands for the Forest Stewardship Council®, a worldwide non-profit organisation dedicated to championing responsible, ethical forestry. The FSC® endeavours to be environmentally appropriate, socially beneficial and economically viable. Bigjigs Toys are certified with FSC® C147826. You can read about the FSC® in more detail here.
What Is FSC® Friday?
Run every year, FSC® Friday is an annual event held by the Forest Stewardship Council to raise worldwide awareness of the importance of forest management and the impact of climate change on forestry. This year’s FSC® Friday theme is the fight against climate change and climate-smart forestry.
Why Do We Need FSC® Friday?
If you caught the news a few weeks ago, you may have seen the United Nation’s damning report on climate change being ‘code red for humanity’. It’s something that we can no longer ignore.
Forests around the world are under threat from deforestation, which is caused by agricultural expansion, illegal logging, mining and urbanisation. Sadly, more than half of the Earth’s tropical forests have been destroyed since the 1960s.
In fact, satellite data from 2002 to 2019 shows that global tropical forest loss averaged around 3.36 million hectares (8.3 million acres) a year. This is an area larger than Belgium! By 2030, we may only have 10% of rainforests left and 28,000 species are expected to become extinct.
Here’s where you can help! FSC® Friday endeavours to promote awareness of its organisation as well as what integral role FSC® products play (particularly wooden toys) in the fight against climate change. By choosing FSC® Certified products, you can rest assured that forests are being responsibly managed.
10 Reasons Why You Should Buy FSC® Certified Wooden Toys
- FSC® is advocated by big charities such as the WWF (World Wildlife Fund), Greenpeace and the Woodland Trust.
- FSC® protects indigenous communities who use the forest. Sacred areas are protected and exempt from felling.
- FSC® makes sure there are better working conditions for people who rely on the forest. Forest owners are obliged to employ local workers to manage the forest and give them adequate training, safety equipment and a good wage.
- FSC® ensures that trees are replaced or allowed to regenerate after felling.
- FSC® Certified wood is tracked throughout its supply chain journey. From the forest all the way to the point of sale, customers can have peace of mind of their product’s authenticity.
- FSC® has high standards, more so than any other wood certification scheme. It gives the ultimate protection for natural forests and endangered species.
- FSC® is well-governed and there are 800 social, economic and environmental members.
- FSC® has a transparent process, every decision is openly available to the public and product claims are independently verified.
- FSC® operates in 100 global markets with consistent principles and standards.
- FSC® makes sure that forests will be preserved and protected for future generations to enjoy.
10% OFF - Our Thanks To You
Now you’ve read the 10 reasons why you should shop FSC®, enjoy 10% off our ENTIRE FSC® Certified range of wooden toys for 24 hours ONLY with the code FSC10. Simply enter the code at the checkout. Happy FSC® Friday!
Our Environmental Responsibility
If you’d like to take a deeper dive into our commitment to Environmental Responsibility, click here.